Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Our Flag.

 
The ones among you with an eye for detail may have noticed a subtle change in my usual emoji signature. I replaced the wave (tsunami) I used to have there with our flag. This happened the day Barack Obama joined Threads. Unlike most of you, who were born in this country, I am an American by choice. The day I became a citizen, and for the first time pledged my allegiance to our flag, I felt something swell inside of me. That unique emotion returns to me at times.
 
When Barack Obama arrived here was one of those times. I immediately felt compelled to fly our colors, and that tiny little flag waving on my signature reflects that emotion. And I will not allow the magats to claim the Stars and Stripes as theirs alone. The day that happens, I have allowed them to strip the pride of being an American from me, and that will NEVER happen.

So I fly her on my signature here.
Because I am proud of my country. A country that elected Barack Obama twice. A country that helped free the Continent I grew up on. A country that against all odds became a beacon of hope in a Century of turmoil. A country that showed the world what the search for a more perfect tomorrow looks like, with all her flaws and all her greatness. I feel like expanding on this, from the perspective of a new citizen, but before doing it I want to leave this here so you know why I fly our flag on my signature. Proudly. So now you know.
 
[finis]

Note:
Comments on this blog are locked. This is but a reading platform linked to Threads.
If you wish to reply with your thoughts, please do so on the Threads post that references this opinion piece. Thank you for reading.

I cry for you, Israel.

Yesterday Hersh Goldberg-Polin, Eden Yerushalmi, Carmel Gat, Ori Danino, Almog Sarusi and Alexander Lobanov were killed inside a tunnel in R...